November 20, 2014. It was through an urgent call from my cousin that I had to reject because I was in my first class that early morning and a text message that read “Hi dai, good morning, patay na si lola kagabie pag 10pm” that the news about my lola’s death broke to me. My heartbeat stilled for a moment. I wanted to cry, get out from the classroom and curl up in a ball in somewhere I can be completely alone. But I was 40 minutes late, and I don’t want to offend my teacher by excusing myself from the class. I had only been seated on my seat for barely half an hour. So I remained where I was, body slacked on the chair, the voice of my teacher like a distant echo to my ears while my mind wandered at somewhere else. I was trying hard to keep myself together, to repress my strong urge to just let the tears roll down, blinking my eyes every now and then to keep them from welling up.
Then
the class finally ended. I went out from the classroom quick. But then I met a
classmate from a minor subject whose classes I haven’t been attending lately, so I had to get my bearings and approach her to ask the things I missed
from the last meeting. After that, I walked on, deciding what to do next. My
next class was an hour and a half after the first one, and I still have two
classes after that in the afternoon. Part of me wanted to stay and just wait ‘til
the day is over so that I could finally mourn for my grandmother’s death, but a
bigger part wanted for me to go home, tell my mom about the news, and just be
alone at my room while I reminisce. I was torn for a while. Next
thing I knew, I was already walking outside the gates of the school, hailing
for a jeep, and sitting at the most corner part while I try to dull the ache
just a little bit longer. I wouldn’t want to have a crying spree in the jeepney
now, would I?
After
an hour, I was finally home. What met me was the sight of my mother with red
eyes and a handkerchief at her clasp, crying, and my uncle sitting on the bench
at our living room. Apparently, he just arrived from the province to deliver
the sad news to my parents and was resting from the long bus trip. I patted my
mom at the shoulder and went straight to my room. Surprisingly, the urge to cry
was gone. It was replaced by an unexpected calmness. I sat at my usual spot in
the room, and thought about what happened for the past weeks.
My
lola came to our house together with my 12-year old cousin from the province at
Northern Cebu 6 weeks ago. It was past noon, and I was at the school at the
time. Usually when she pops in, she is in sound health, paying us a visit only
because she misses us or if she wants my mother to buy her medicines and food.
But when she arrived, there was a swelling in her right cheek that extended to
the base of her neck. She then told my mother that it started as a minor pain
when a fishbone got stuck in her gum two months ago and she wasn’t able to
remove it. It’s been causing her pain ever since, and the lump that developed
on the infected gum grew and grew in size until it came to the point where she
realized that it’s high time something must be done about it. So, my mother
accompanied her to the hospital that afternoon to have herself checked. I
arrived home from school that night and got informed by my father that my
mother and Lola won’t be home ‘til tomorrow morning as the health examination
was taking too long than what was expected.
I
woke up in the morning and found my Lola asleep. My mother was awake though, so
I asked her what happened. She said they were at the hospital ‘til 4:00 in the
morning and that I should not wake my Lola up because she’s too exhausted. My
mother was worried, because the doctors had my Lola undergo biopsy, and the
initial findings revealed that the infection is malignant and might lead to
cancer, and since my Lola, who was 81 years old, was too old for chemotherapy
and operation, the only option left would be to let her undergo radiation therapy
which only guarantees 30% recovery and is very costly. The doctor told her to
be back in the hospital after two weeks for the biopsy results.
She said her heart broke a little. Mine did too. So I went near my Lola just to check on her. When I did, a strong pungent whiff made me go to the sink and spit in disgust. I covered my nose and went back to where my Lola was. That was when I confirmed that the condition of my Lola was serious. Not only was there an inflammation, it gave off a nasty smell too, the smell that of a rotten shellfish that goes straight to your nose and makes you want to puke if you come too close to the source.
She said her heart broke a little. Mine did too. So I went near my Lola just to check on her. When I did, a strong pungent whiff made me go to the sink and spit in disgust. I covered my nose and went back to where my Lola was. That was when I confirmed that the condition of my Lola was serious. Not only was there an inflammation, it gave off a nasty smell too, the smell that of a rotten shellfish that goes straight to your nose and makes you want to puke if you come too close to the source.
I
felt bad. For spitting, for recoiling in disgust, for telling myself not to go
near my Lola again because of the smell. I felt ashamed of myself. Why did I do all those? I didn't have the right to. She looked after me and fostered me when I was
little during the time that my mother had to make money for the family and had
to leave me at my Lola’s care in our province at Mindanao. She cleaned my mess,
wiped away the dung that I kept dropping everywhere as a baby, cared for me
when I had terrible measles and chicken pox, and loved me unconditionally,
bragging me to her kumares as she held me in her arms and kissed my forehead
repeatedly. It was already her turn to be cared for, so I swallowed back my
apprehension and woke her up, telling her to go have a breakfast. She said she
will get up in a few minutes. I left her and made her breakfast at the kitchen.
See, my Lola was
the kind of person that doesn’t want to be helped, and her pride won’t let
her. Even when there were obvious signs of her failing health, she still wanted
to put up a front and make it seem that she’s okay: if you offer to help her
stand, she would shoo you away. That was just how she was.
When I checked
on her again, she was struggling to get her bearings. She can barely keep her
knees straight, and she was having a hard time standing. I rushed to her and
assisted her, but she just said “Okay ra ko day, adto lang ko kusina taud-taod”.
Although I had doubts, but I let her be. Amidst the pungent smell, I wanted to
hug my Lola. Seeing her in such condition made my heart ache. But I can’t, and
I wasn’t able to. It was such a long time since we last saw each other, and the
closeness that we once had has grown thin over the years. I couldn’t work up
the courage to tell her that I love her and that she is going to be alright.
After three
days, my mother brought my Lola and cousin back to the province to let my
Auntie take care of her. She bought her food and medicine supplies. I wasn’t
even there when my Lola left, so I hadn’t had the chance to say goodbye. Since
then, I got worried about her, my thoughts are drawn to her from time to time.
I remembered the
times when I was bullied by my bigger male cousins whenever I visit the
province during my elementary days, and I always come running to her, crying
while I tell her what they did to me. She would always tell me to just let it
pass and that I shouldn’t just play with them again. She would cook biko, binignit, budbod, nilat-ang manok and linung-ag na saging for all of us, and she would always have this hearty laughter whenever my uncles and aunties crack jokes. She would play cards early in the
morning, and whenever I ask her why, she would say she just wanted to find out if
harvesting corn would be good for that day, or if she would win “Swer-tres”,
things like that. I used to be her most favorite grandchild, always treating me
more favorably than the rest of my cousins. I loved the attention that she was
giving me. I loved being her “pinaka-pinalanggang apo”. I loved her dearly.
![]() |
| A photograph of Lola Tonya during her days as a dressmaker |
My mother and I
would talk about my Lola from time to time, and we had anticipated that she
wouldn’t last long, that her death is imminent, and that we had to prepare
ourselves for the inevitable. Before she got ill, I used to think that she
would always be healthy, and that she would be still be there by the time I
marry and have my own kids. I was always used to her being strong: she would,even at her seventies, always climb up and down the mountain where she used to live, she would wash her own clothes, she would do the work at the
cornfield during daytime and cook food for dinner. That image that I have of
her shattered, and every once in a while the picture of her struggling to stand
on her feet would pop in my mind. It adds weight in my chest every time it
does.
Perhaps that’s the
reason that I did not crack down during the entire time my whole family was
making the preparations for my Lola’s burial in the province. I did not cry, I did
not even get emotional. I was just there, watching her lie peacefully in her
coffin, candles burning and flowers put up around her. Where almost everyone
was weeping silently during the Requiem mass, I just stood silently as the
priest blessed her coffin and sprinkled holy water on it while my relatives
stood around with lit candles in their hands. Even as we were marching to the
cemetery up to the time her coffin was being placed inside her tomb, and she
was finally laid to rest, not a tear escaped my eyes. Before we left the cemetery,
I walked to her tomb, and thanked her for everything. I told her I love her so
much, and I bid my final farewell.
I never cried
for her death. Not until now, now that I am writing this. All those feelings of
grief and nostalgia came back to me as I take a trip down memory lane to dig
whatever memories I had of her. I… I lost a person that I loved. And the
painful thing is that I never got to tell her how much I love her and how much
she truly meant to me; I let all the opportunities to do so go. I let her pass
away without ever thanking her, letting her feel the warmth of the love of a
grandchild, without talking to her for the last time before she held her final
breath.
I felt guilty. I
never gave her back the love she deserved. I feel so sorry.
But, I know,
wherever she is now, she is at someplace happy, peaceful, and full of
love. She would never have to cough violently, complain about how tasteless the
food is in her mouth, and whimper in pain ever again. God bless her soul.
Lola, I hope
that at the deepest recesses of your mind, you knew what you are to me, and
that you will always have a special place in my heart. I will never forget you.
I will dedicate my achievements in life to you. And I will make you proud.
I love you so much,
Lola Tonya. And goodbye.


No comments:
Post a Comment